Building Regulations

As with planning, your building will almost certainly need to comply with the local authority Building Regulations.

Some buildings are exempt, these include:

Buildings used for the storage of explosives, or on a nuclear site, greenhouses and agricultural buildings, temporary buildings (as defined in the planning regulations, see above), buildings on construction sites, mines and quarries, buildings with a floor area less than 30m2, nuclear fallout shelters and ”a detached building into which people do not normally go ”
Under some circumstances it can be argued that simple storage buildings fall into this last category. However, you should establish that the building inspector agrees with this categorisation before proceeding. Please note also that, if a building is classified under one of these categories, it may not be suitable for a different use in the future.

Where a building is subject to the regulations, the inspector will require proof that it is properly designed and constructed – this usually means that you will have to provide structural calculations from a qualified engineer (the cost of these is included in TP Structure’s quotation). The inspector will also require proof that the building’s foundations are properly designed and adequate for their purpose – again, an engineer’s calculations will probably be required. In the case of a heated building, energy loss calculations and even an air-test may be required (see notes on Cladding and Insulation).

In general, building inspectors may have discretion in how they apply the regulations – some regard them as general guidance only; others insist on them being applied scrupulously. It is worth noting that you do not need to go to your local Building Control department for approval – in fact another local authority’s department can provide the service, or you can use an independent ”approved inspector”.